GUH ACLS TRAINING COURSE
Each month Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Courses will take place over two days at the Croí Heart & Stroke Centre, Newcastle, Galway. This course is organised by Galway University Hospital (GUH)
GUH ACLS is an advanced, instructor-led, 2-day course, that highlights the importance of team dynamics and communication, systems of care and immediate post-cardiac-arrest care. It also covers airway management and related pharmacology. In this course, skills are taught in large, group sessions and small, group learning and testing stations where case-based scenarios are presented.
- All applicants must have completed a Healthcare Provider CPR course within the last two years.
- Nurses MUST have study leave approval prior to registration
ACLS is designed for healthcare professionals who either direct or participate in the management of cardiopulmonary arrest and other cardiovascular emergencies. This includes personnel in emergency response, emergency medicine, intensive care and critical care units.
Key changes in advanced cardiovascular life support, reflecting the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care;
- Basic life support skills, including effective chest compressions, use of a bag-mask device and use of an (AED)
- Recognition and early management of respiratory and cardiac arrest
- Recognition and early management of peri-arrest conditions such as symptomatic bradycardia
- Airway management
- Related pharmacology
- Management of acute coronary syndromes (ACS) and stroke
- Effective communication as a member and leader of a resuscitation team
- Effective Resuscitation Team Dynamics
An online ACLS assessment is required for 1st day of course.
2-day Provider Course is approximately 10-12 hours to complete, including skills practice and skills testing.
Course time based on 1 instructor: 6 student: 2 manikins
Course Queries: Siobhán Keane, Resuscitation Officer GUH: 091- 542963 firstname.lastname@example.org
UHG ACLS Assessment Days 2020
- September, Tuesday 22nd or Wednesday 23rd – Registration full
- October, Wednesday 21st or Thursday 22nd (Registration open, Thursday, 22nd now full)
- November, Tuesday 17th or Wednesday 18th (Registration opens Monday 12th October)
- December, Wednesday 9th or Thursday 10th (Registration opens Monday 9th November)