This Tuesday, the frying pans won’t know what hit them with all the pancakes that will be made! Although a popular and tasty treat, pancakes and the toppings that come with them are often high in sugar and saturated fats.
This year, why not opt for the healthy choice and try Croí’s heart healthy pancakes, featuring soaked oats and banana. These delicious pancakes are full of heart-friendly ingredients, with the same great taste as traditional pancakes – the kids won’t even know the difference. Croí’s Lead Dietitian, Suzanne Seery, has also suggested some healthy toppings that just taste like more!
Check out the recipe below:
- 150g soaked porridge oats
- 150g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 large, free-range eggs
- 100ml skimmed milk
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- Sunflower & Pumpkin seeds
- Low-fat yogurt
- Mix the porridge, flour, baking powder, banana, eggs and milk in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add 2-3 tbsp of the mixture into the pan and cook on a medium heat until the underside is golden and bubbles are popping on the surface.
- Flip over and cook for another few mins until cooked through. Repeat until you’ve used up all the batter.
- Add your toppings and enjoy!
Croí’s Lead Dietitian, Suzanne Seery, breaks down the heart healthy ingredients used in our pancake recipe!