Croí’s Dietitian, Aisling, has designed the perfect recipe for Energy Ball Bites! These tasty and healthy treats are the perfect little snack to give you a quick but light energy boost. Try them out and, if you’re doing Croí’s Couch to Wild Atlantic Way challenge, pack them up and bring them with you for a mid-walk snack!
The natural sugars from the dates provide energy and sweetness, while the healthy fats and protein in the nuts satisfy that peckish feeling. However, because they are small, they are a perfect pre-workout snack as they won’t fill you up too much but will give you an energy boost for your session.
There are so many varieties and flavour combinations from chocolate, orange zest, coconut or peanut butter, but the basic ingredients of dates and nuts always remains the same so, once you’ve made these yourself once or twice, don’t be afraid to get experimenting!
Croí Energy Balls – Basic Recipe
- 100g medjool dates (or regular dried dates pre-soaked in water)
- 50g nuts (I used hazelnuts but you could also use almonds or Brazil nuts)
- 1 tsp cocoa powder, plus extra for coating
- 1 tsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp honey
- Blend the nuts finely.
- Add in the dates and blend again until completely mixed. You may have to scrape down the sides of the blender a few times to make sure everything gets blended.
- Add in the chia seeds, cocoa powder and honey and blend again.
- Take out tablespoons of the mixture and roll into balls.
- Coat in some cocoa powder