Who we are
At Croí, our aim is to lead the fight against heart disease and stroke, with a particular focus on the West of Ireland. Our mission is to prevent disease, save lives and promote recovery & wellbeing.
Our work is funded from the proceeds of fundraising events, voluntary contributions and philanthropy. We are deeply grateful for the support and endorsement of our donors, supporters and volunteers who give so generously of their time and resources.
Croí’s work involves:
- Raising awareness on a local and national level about the risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
- Developing and delivering education, prevention and healthy lifestyle programmes to individuals, families and communities.
- Providing accredited education and training for healthcare professionals.
- Delivering CPR and defibrillation training to the general public as well as Cardiac Life Support training for healthcare professionals.
- Providing accommodation and support at the Croí Heart and Stroke Centre for the relatives of those receiving heart or stroke care at Galway University Hospitals.
- Facilitating and collaborating in vital research in the areas of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and obesity.
- Developing and testing innovative models of preventive and rehabilitative care.
- Representing the voice of the patient and carer.
- Supporting the development of heart and stroke services in the West of Ireland, in particular at the specialist centre at Galway University Hospital.
- Build healthy communities through support, education and empowerment
- Amplify the patient voice
- Pursue the highest level of cardiovascular healthcare
- Facilitate, participate and collaborate in vital research
- Build capacity in preventive healthcare nationally through the National Institute for Preventive Cardiology:
- Engage with policy makers and healthy practitioners in pursuit of excellence in preventive healthcare
- Develop innovative models of preventive care and service delivery
- Produce a new generation of scholars and leaders in cardiovascular health and disease prevention
- Align with the World Heart Federation’s mission and ambition to reduce premature death and disability from cardiovascular disease by 25% by 2025.
Our vision is to lead in the prevention, control of, and recovery from cardiovascular disease and to serve as exemplars of innovation and best practice.
Our mission is to prevent heart disease and stroke, save lives, empower and support families, communities and future generations to take control of their health and well-being.