New Service Launched for Heart & Stroke Patients & Carers
Local Heart & Stroke Charity Croí is responding to the increased needs of those living with heart disease and stroke, as a consequence of COVID-19. Since the beginning of the coronavirus crisis, Croí has been experiencing an ever-increasing demand for information, support and advice from heart and stroke patients and their carers.
“Our health team of community nurses, dietitians, physios and exercise specialists are receiving phone calls, emails and significantly increased web and social media correspondence from all over Ireland – with the greatest demand being from the west of Ireland” says Croí CEO Neil Johnson, who outlined the reasons for this as:
- Increased fear, anxiety and worry among heart patients and their families due to their increased vulnerability to COVID-19.
- Increased need for reliable information and reassurance from a healthcare professional.
- Increased isolation and loneliness.
- Reduced access (perceived and real) to GP’s, or community health services.
- Reduced access to services (e.g. cardiac rehabilitation, heart failure nurse specialists etc.) due to redeployment of HSE staff or postponement of services.
- Cancelled or postponed clinic appointments or hospital procedures.
- Reduced quality time with doctors or nurses – quicker discharge from hospital; shorter appointments (e.g.: virtual clinics).
“Many people are afraid to visit their doctor or hospital, despite having symptoms that warrant attention and this will lead to adverse or worse outcomes,” said Johnson.
With funding support from local and national healthcare companies, Croí has launched a new community support service across the West of Ireland – Heartlink West – with endorsement from the cardiology services of the Saolta Group.
Announcing details of this new initiative, Croí CEO Neil Johnson said that: “Heartlink West will provide FREE support from our community based, multi-disciplinary health team, led by three highly-experienced cardiac nurse specialists. Concerned individuals can connect with us through a telephone helpline and daily ‘virtual health chats’. Those who call the helpline can speak with Nurses, Dietitians, Physios and Exercise Specialists. For the duration of the current crisis, we aim to provide this FREE service, Monday to Friday from 09:30 -17:30.”
Heartlink West has been made possible thanks to the support of several generous donations from regional and national companies. To learn more about this initiative or for ways to support us please visit www.croi.ie/heartlinkwest.
HeartLink West is available Monday – Friday from 9:00am – 5:30pm. Call 091-544310 or email email@example.com.