Pilates is good for the Heart!
Pilates is a method of exercise that consists of low-impact flexibility and muscular strength and endurance movements. Pilates emphasises proper postural alignment, core strength and muscle balance and is suitable for all levels of ability. A Pilates routine generally includes exercises that promotes core strength and stability, muscle control and endurance, including exercises that encourage proper posture and movement patterns. It encourages improved balance, flexibility and strength.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Pilates:
- Improves flexibility: Stretches can help elongate your muscles and increase your range of motion. The more frequently you practice Pilates, the better your flexibility becomes.
- Increases muscle strength and tone: Your abdominal muscles, lower back, hips and buttocks (the ‘core muscles’ of your body) all remain contracted and engaged during a Pilates workout. This constant tension helps keep the core muscles lean and build better endurance and strength.
- Improves breathing: The careful attention to breathing patterns encouraged in Pilates not only improves breathing patterns during your workouts, but it also improves blood circulation in the body. With proper, deep breathing, blood is better able to deliver oxygen to the appropriate muscles and organs, which can cleanse the body of toxins, provide a fresh, invigorating feeling, and help muscles recover better.
- Improves posture: No matter what your daily activity, whether you’re cooking, brushing your teeth or carrying groceries, Pilates makes you more aware of your ability to pull your stomach in and pull your shoulders down for good posture and spinal alignment.
- Teaches control both physically and mentally: All exercises are done with control, as the muscles work to lift against gravity and the resistance of the apparatus springs and thereby control the movement of the body and the apparatus.
- Promotes body awareness: With Pilates, you become more aware of your posture when you sit or stand.
- Reinforces strong, mobile joints: Pilates elongates and strengthens your muscles, improving muscle elasticity and joint mobility. This means less risk of weak or stiff joints, and it helps maintain flexibility which can reduce arthritis.
- Conditions the whole body: Every part of the body, from head to toe, gets a workout from Pilates. Your entire musculature is evenly balanced and conditioned, helping you enjoy daily activities and sports with greater ease, better performance and less risk of injury.
- Improves aerobic conditioning: Pilates increases lung capacity and circulation through the deep breathing done during each move and exercise.
- Builds better balance.
The next Croi Pilates Programme which is specially designed to suit all levels of fitness and abilities and is delivered by a trained exercise professional, will start Thursday 26th January and take place on a weekly basis in Westside Community Centre, Galway on Thursdays with both morning and afternoon classes available.
For further information or to book a place on this programme call Croí on (091) 544310