Eating out can be a social and fun experience with family or friends and is one of the things that many people are missing at this time. Our Dietitians have a series of heart healthy ‘fakeaway’ takeaway recipes that the whole family can get involved in preparing, with the added benefits of being low in saturated fats, full or fibre and a good source of lean protein. Enjoy!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Turkey Burger with Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
Ingredients for turkey burgers:
- 400g turkey mince
- 1/2 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1-2 cups frozen peas/petit pois
- 1 cup brown bread breadcrumbs
- 2–3 dessert spoons of olive oil
- Chili powder & black pepper
- 1 chili (optional)
Ingredients for Sweet Potato fries:
- 2 large or 4 small sweet potatoes
- Salt, black pepper and paprika to season
- Olive oil
- Low fat Crème Fraîche (optional for serving)
- 8 handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced
- 1 pack of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced (red or white)
- Dressing: 1 part olive oil to 2 parts lemon juice and pinch of cracked black pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and serve
Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
Sweet Potato Fries:
- Chop the sweet potatoes in half and slice length ways.
- Place on an unlined baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and paprika, tossing well so that all the wedges are coated with the oil and seasoning.
- Cook in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the edges are brown and crisp.
- In a large bowl, combine the minced turkey, onion, red pepper, egg, garlic, lemon zest, frozen peas, breadcrumbs and olive oil.
- Mix really well – you may need to get your hands in! Once combined, make into four equal-sized patties.
- Place the burgers on the lined baking tray and cook in the oven alongside the sweet potatoes for 20 to 30 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve the burgers with sweet potato fries and side salad and a dollop of low fat crème fraîche if you like.