Croí is a not-for-profit foundation established in 1985 and currently has a team of 30 staff. Our people (including staff, volunteers, interns and students) are what make Croí an award-winning organisation. Croí is engaged in a wide variety of work including patient care, training and education, prevention & rehabilitation, family support, research, awareness and health promotion. Employing the best staff is key to providing the highest standard of service and care to our patients. If you would like to work in a caring, energetic and professional environment, and possess the skills and attributes to make a difference, then we would like to hear from you.
Current Career Opportunities with Croí
Croí is a registered Irish Heart & Stroke Charity based in Galway. Its mission is to prevent cardiovascular disease, save lives and promote recovery and wellbeing. Over the past decade, Croí have developed an expertise in cardiovascular disease prevention, early detection and intervention which has achieved national recognition through a variety of healthcare and innovation awards.
We are seeking to recruit a dietitian to develop and deliver the nutrition and dietetic components of a wide range of Croí health programmes.
To develop and deliver a dietetic service to Croí health programme participants and their families, offering dietary advice, in accordance with Croí standards and professional best practice. The post holder will work as part of a multidisciplinary team and will be based at the Croí Heart & Stroke Centre, Newcastle, Galway.
CroíHealth Programmes& Initiatives
- CroíMyAction™ – an innovative cardiovascular disease prevention programme, targeting high-risk individuals and providing them with intensive risk factor management and lifestyle modification over a 12-16 week period
- CLANN (Changing Lifestyle with Activity and NutritioN)- an eight-week structured lifestyle modification programme designed specifically for patients who attend the bariatric medicine service at University Hospital Galway
- CroíMyBalance–a dietetic led weight management and lifestyle programme delivered over eight weeks (1 hour per week) with follow up at 3 months, 6 months and one year
- 1:1 Dietetic Assessments– designed for individuals who would like dietary advice relating to their weight, lipid profile, blood pressure or type 2 diabetes
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively and efficiently provide a clinical dietetic service to individuals and families attending Croí health programmes, providing comprehensive individual dietary assessment; monitoring and evaluating outcomes and contributing to the overall work objectives of the multi-disciplinary team.
- Co-ordinate and deliver health promotion education sessions and interventions to programme participants.
- Lead and co-ordinate the CroíMyBalance weight management and lifestyle programme.
- Participate in teaching related activities to the general public, patients, students and health professionals.
- Develop nutrition and diet content (articles and blog posts) for the Croi website
- Facilitate behaviour change using motivational interviewing, brief intervention techniques and goal setting.
- Participate in research and clinical governance audit.
- Demonstrate the ability to work autonomously and as part of a multi-disciplinary team in service delivery, development and programme promotion.
- Participate in student training and supervision.
- Be professionally accountable for all aspects of your own work, working to best practice guidelines and the Croí Health Programme protocols.
Skills and Competencies
The post holder will be required to demonstrate:
- A proficient knowledge of current developments in obesity, type 2 diabetes,cardiology, stroke, cardiac rehabilitation and the prevention and management of cardiovascular disease.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent writing skills, both academic and lay writing, contributing to information leaflets, reports and presentations.
- Experience in public speaking/ delivery of patient education sessions.
- The ability to work autonomously and as part of a team to achieve key performance outputs.
- Initiative and motivation in service delivery.
- Enthusiasm for the development and delivery of the Croí Health Programmes.
- Excellent IT skills to include use of Email, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Excellent organisational skills with an aptitude for effective time management, problem solving, project planning, delivery and execution.
- Advanced clinical reasoning.
- A commitment to quality measurable through audit and research.
- Ability to apply core dietetic skills across a range of clinical conditions using a client-centred, goal-setting approach.
The post holder must be suitably qualified as follows:
- Possess a B.Sc (Honours) in Dietetics or Postgraduate Diploma in Dietetics or hold a qualification in Dietetics equivalent to these. All qualifications must be validated by the Department of Health / CORU.
- Have at least 1 yearsatisfactory post qualification dietetic experience.
- Have experience in the dietary management of patients with cardiovascular disease,obesity and type 2 diabetes.
- Have the clinical, managerial and administrative capacity to fulfil the functions of the role.
- Demonstrate evidence of a commitment to continuing professional development.
It is desirable that the post holder has the following:
- Experience in the area of patient education, group facilitation and health promotion.
- Training in Motivational Interviewing or Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.
- A Postgraduate qualification.
- Previous teaching or lecturing experience.
This position will be offered as a full-time position and will be a fixed term contract of 12 months. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Applicants must be available to commence employment immediately.
To apply, please send your CV with a cover letter to email@example.com before Friday, July 19, 2019.
This job profile will be subject to review in accordance with service developments and is neither restrictive nor definitive, but rather a guide to the general range of duties required.
There are numerous volunteer opportunities for people that wish to lend some free time to support our work. Our volunteers are a vital part of our organisation and enable us to provide a high quality service in the most cost effective manner. Our volunteers come from a variety of backgrounds and help us in many different ways. They include post-graduates, medics, business professionals, athletes and community representatives.
If you would like to assist Croí as a volunteer, intern or unpaid placement, please Complete our Volunteer Form
or contact us on: