Croí, the Heart & Stroke Charity, along with Healthy Ireland, Pobal and Teagasc, invited the Mayo farming community to get involved and make heart healthy changes during Mayo Farmers Month, which launched Dec 29, 2020.
See the free resources below!
Mayo Farmers Month Programme
The Croí Mayo Farmers Month health and wellbeing programme, delivered online earlier this year, was specifically designed with Irish farmers in mind. The Croí Health Team worked with a group of Mayo farmers to help them improve their heart health and reduce their risk for cardiovascular disease through exercise, diet and lifestyle changes.
The programme was well-received by all who participated. Check out the videos below to hear from two farmers who completed the programme and kindly shared their experiences: Michael McNamara, from Clare Island; and Seamus McGrenra, from Claremorris.
Michael McNamara, Clare Island
Seamus McGrenra, Claremorris
Health & Mind
Mental Health Resources
- Alone is good for older people who are lonely. alone.ie. 0818 222 024 low cost number 8-8. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Depression & Bipolar Disorder Support. www.aware.ie. Tel: Freephone 1800 80 48 48 (available 7 days, 10am-10pm). Email: email@example.com
- Awareness Head to Toe is a completely voluntary committee formed to promote mental health, general heath and farm safety awareness throughout the rural community. https://awarenessheadtotoe.com/
- Pieta House. Free therapeutic support to people who are in suicidal distress and those who engage in self-harm. T: 1800 247 247. W: pieta.ie
- The Samaritans. Samaritans is a unique charity dedicated to reducing feelings of isolation and disconnection that can lead to suicide. They’re there 24/7, before, during and after a crisis and they make sure there’s always someone there, for anyone who needs someone. samaritans.org/ireland email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call 116 123.
- 50808 is a free 24/7 text service, providing everything from a calming chat to immediate support for people going through a mental health or emotional crisis – big or small. Text HELLO to 50808 to start a conversation, any time – day or night. https://text50808.ie/
Co. Mayo Resources
- Family Centre Castlebar. Call 094 9025900
- Community psychology for children & Adolescents. Call 094 9042281
- Child & Adolescent Mental Health service. Call Ballina 096 20399 / Castlebar 0949042656
- Adult mental health service. Call 094 9042621 (Admin office)
- Mindspace Mayo is a free and confidential support service for young people’s mental health and wellbeing. Mindspace’s aim is to support young people age. https://www.mindspacemayo.ie
- Mayo University Hospital 094 9021733
- Additional information for further counselling and support services please see mayobewell.ie
- Emergency services 999 or 112
FREE Heart Health Webinar for Farmers
On Thursday, January 21st at 7pm, Croí held a free webinar on heart health. Experts from the Croí Health Team shared information on diet, exercise and lifestyle. Watch it here now!
Jump to section:
A message from John Comer,
Former President of the Irish Creamery Milk Suppliers Association
Risk factors you can change:
Risk Factors you cannot change:
Mental Health & Wellbeing:
Click to download
Other useful resources:
- Mental Health Ireland
- Mental Health Ireland – 5 ways to wellbeing
- HSE – Your Mental Health
- Reach Out – Youth Mental Health
- Spun Out – Mental Health
- IFA – Farm Family Mental Health Resources
- Psychological Society of Ireland
- HSE – Diabetes
- HSE – Benefits of cutting down or giving up alcohol
- HSE – Living Well Programme for Adults with Long-Term Health Conditions
- HSE – Self-Management Resources for People Living with a Long-Term Health Condition
The Healthy Ireland Fund supported by the Department of Health and the Department of Children and Youth Affairs